Report: Sutton United 3-2 Bromley

Latest News

Torquay trip selected for BT Sport

Our National League clash with promotion chasers Torquay United on Saturday 8th May has been chosen for BT Sport coverage.
- Advertisement -

Bromley made the trip to Surrey to take on rivals Sutton United in a clash which should have taken place on 2nd January, that falling victim to COVID.

On a chilly Tuesday evening, the hosts had the opening attack within the first minute. Bromley born winger David Ajiboye got the better of the Bromley back line down the right and fizzed a cross into the box, but Isaac Olaofe was unable to hit the target.

Seven minutes after sending an opportunistic long range volley high and wide, Michael Cheek gave Bromley the lead. Jack Bridge embarked on a run down the right hand side of the hosts’ penalty area, before pulling the ball back into the six yard box. With Luke Coulson lurking, Sutton were not able to clear, and Cheek finished expertly with a shot on the turn to give Bromley liftoff.

The Ravens continued to put pressure on the hosts, but it would be Sutton who would have the next chance of note. After the ball broke to him 20 yards from goal, Craig Eastmond’s fierce effort looked destined for the bottom corner, but for the intervention of Mark Cousins, who made a fine, one handed save to deny him.

On 34 minutes, the Ravens would go close from long range. Coulson’s free kick into a crowded box was headed into the path of Frankie Raymond, who sent a fizzing volley just over the bar from little over 20 yards. Courtney Duffus would repeat this moments later, as Bromley won possession back in the Sutton half, but Duffus couldn’t quite hit the target from distance.

As half time approached, Duffus headed a long ball back into the path of the onrushing Coulson, but from the edge of the box, he struck a low shot wide.

In the second half, Sutton started as they meant to go on. Harry Beautyman tested Cousins at his near post, before firing the rebound inches wide. It would be a sign of things to come, as the hosts would equalise on 55 minutes. Craig Eastmond timed a back post run to perfection, as he headed Will Randall’s free kick home.

Olaofe then tested Cousins again as he struck low from the edge of the box, but the Bromley man was equal to it.

Five minutes later, the Ravens were back in front. Frankie Raymond’s deep free kick was only half cleared, and fell to Duffus on the edge of the box, who rifled home through a crowd of bodies and into the bottom corner.

Cousins had to be alert once again, as ten minutes from time, the hosts applied further pressure. Former Bromley man Omar Bugiel dispossessed Billy Bingham and drove towards the box, with his low strike forcing an excellent save.

However, Sutton’s persistence would pay off, as just four minutes from time, Beautyman would level the scores, converting a delivery from the edge of the six yard box.

The game would then completely turn on its head in injury time, as Randall’s shot took a huge deflection of the head of Byron Webster and sailed into the net, handing the points to the hosts.

Bromley XI: Cousins, Kizzi, Bingham, Holland, Coulson, Raymond, Cheek, Duffus, Trotter, Webster (C), Bridge

Unused substitutes: Purrington, Roberts

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Wembley 1949

1949 – A Historic Victory

On the 23rd April 1949, Bromley won the FA Amateur Cup in front of over 93,000 people at Wembley Stadium.

1949 – The Team

When football had no substitutes, a 2-3-5 formation was preferred and when goalkeepers had no gloves. Tom...

1949 – The Gallery

We are incredibly fortunate to have a collection of images and video from our 1949 FA Amateur Cup Final win.