Report: Bromley 2-2 Barnet

Latest News

Torquay trip selected for BT Sport

Our National League clash with promotion chasers Torquay United on Saturday 8th May has been chosen for BT Sport coverage.
- Advertisement -

The Ravens welcomed Barnet to Hayes Lane in an action packed London derby.

The visitors started with intent and Ephron Mason-Clark tested Mark Cousins early on and forced a low save from the Bromley goalkeeper. Then came the moment the hosts had been waiting for.After Scott Loach forced a double save from numerous efforts from the Bromley attack, Michael Cheek picked up the ball, his cross found Liam Trotter at the back post, and the Bromley midfielder made no mistake and smashed in the ball with aplomb. A great start for Bromley.

The game then turned on its head completely. Courtney Baker-Richardson was put through on goal by Lee Vaughan, with Joe Kizzi chasing him and winning the ball, only for a penalty to be given in controversial circumstances. Kizzi was shown a straight red card too. Baker-Richardson stepped up and scored the resulting penalty, sending Cousins the wrong way.

Minutes later, a teasing cross was missed by Scott Loach, who injured himself with an awkward fall in the process, falling to Cheek just inside the box, but the front man volleyed over the bar with the goalkeeper stranded.

Jack Bridge then skilled his way beyond some defenders and appeared to be taken down on the edge of the penalty area, much to the dismay of the Bromley players, the referee gave no penalty and the game carried on.

A crazy half also saw Neil Smith being sent to the stands. With the half coming to an end, Frankie Raymond tested substitute goalkeeper Aymen Azaze with a long range effort, the goalkeeper tipped the ball just over the bar.

In the second half, a cross landed to Jack Holland who hit a first time volley on to the arm of a Barnet defender. The referee blew his whistle and pointed straight to the penalty spot. Cheek coolly converted the penalty and Bromley took the lead with ten men. 

Minutes later, the visitors equalised. Mason-Clark crossed the ball into the box and Michael Petrasso slammed the ball into the top corner with a precise first time effort.

With just under ten minutes to go, James Dunne was sent off for a second bookable offence and a nervy finale awaited the hosts. Despite a hard working Bromley side piling on the pressure, they could not find that critical goal which would have completed a memorable victory.

Bromley: Mark Cousins, Joe Kizzi, Jack Holland, Byron Webster, Frankie Raymond, Luke Coulson, Tyler Maloney, Liam Trotter, Jack Bridge (Alabi) ,Courtney Duffus (Williamson), Michael Cheek (Wakefield)

Unused Subs: Purrington, Roberts 

Report by Alex Exadactylos

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Wembley 1949

1949 – A Historic Victory

On the 23rd April 1949, Bromley won the FA Amateur Cup in front of over 93,000 people at Wembley Stadium.

1949 – The Team

When football had no substitutes, a 2-3-5 formation was preferred and when goalkeepers had no gloves. Tom...

1949 – The Gallery

We are incredibly fortunate to have a collection of images and video from our 1949 FA Amateur Cup Final win.